2018 Memorial Day Mosquito Protection Checklist
Memorial Day 2018 is here and so are the mosquitoes! Use THIS checklist for helpful outdoors tips to keep you and your family and friends safe from swarms of dreaded mosquitoes this holiday weekend!
- The removal of standing water. Mosquito larvae are aquatic, meaning they need water to complete their life cycle. By removing places for them to lay eggs and develop, you can stop them from using the property to breed. Examples; Old tires, buckets, cans
- Drinking alcohol increases mosquito bites. Some research has shown that drinking alcohol, especially beer, increases your attractiveness to biting mosquitoes. If you are consuming alcohol and outdoors, be sure to wear a CDC recommended insect repellent!
- Avoid wearing dark colors. Numerous studies have shown that these insects are attracted to dark colors more than light colors. Fabric can make a difference, too. Shiny fabrics, such as satin or silk, are more attractive than matte ones, such as cotton.
- Wear thin loose fitting maybe even long sleeves and long trousers. Yes, even in the summer! Clothing covering the skin gives one more layer of protection. Plus, this allows insect repellent to be applied on clothing rather than directly on the skin, limiting exposure concerns.
- Use insect repellent. EPA-approved Insect repellents, especially ones containing DEET are extremely effective at keeping mosquitoes from biting. To read more on mosquitoes and prevention of viruses carried by mosquitoes visit the CDC website.
- Increase wind or air movement. Mosquitoes don’t fly or locate potential hosts well when wind speeds are greater than ~10 MPH. A simple electric ore ceiling fan can provide winds that exceed these speeds.
- Avoid being outdoors when they are most active. Many species of human biting mosquitoes prefer feeding at dusk and dawn, so avoiding outdoor activities during this time can help avoid bites.
- If you’re hosting a backyard BBQ. It’s a great idea to treat your yard 24-48 hrs before with Martin’s Brand Cyonara Ready-to-Spray to eliminate mosquitoes and other pesky insects.